Justen is an associate in the Vethan Law Firm’s Houston office and practices in entertainment and intellectual property transactions, litigation, and appeals. Justen’s specialty is the music industry, but has successfully negotiated film options, international book publishing agreements, and protected the rights and intellectual property portfolios for brands around the world. His intellectual property practice includes a mix of work with the Trademark Office, Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals, and the Copyright Office, and copyright, patent, and trademark litigation in state and federal courts. Justen helps his entertainment clients by counseling on the creation and retention of multiple royalty streams, drafting and negotiating film, book, and music industry related agreements, and litigation in the areas of copyright infringement, exclusive representation agreements, and claims under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
In addition to his work as an attorney, Justen is an adjunct professor of Entertainment Law at the University of Houston Law Center (2014 to present), and is a ReverbNation Curator in the area of electronic and dance music. Justen was named one of the Top Lawyers in Houston for his entertainment law practice by Houstonia Magazine in 2016 and 2017.
- Courts of the State of Texas
- Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Federal District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- Juris Doctorate, University of Houston Law Center 2013 (Order of the Barristers)
- Music Business Management, Belmont University 2008
- “Culture Remix: Illegal Art, Copyright, and the Music Industry” panel, April 2017
- “Intellectual Property, Merchandising, and Fantasy Football” CLE, February 2017
- “The Changing Economics of the Music Business” panel, February 2016
- “World IP Day, Houston” panel, April 2015